Selected materials from teaching fiction and poetry workshops and classes, as well as composition and argumentative writing. You’re welcome to use these in your classroom, but please credit me and link back to my website.
Writing 30: Beginning Poetry Writing
University of California, Irvine – Fall 2017, Winter 2018, Spring 2018
- Syllabus – Course description, major assignments, schedule
- Recommended Reading List of Contemporary Poetry Collections
- What We’ve Covered
English 223: Vision and Revision – Introduction to Creative Writing (Poetry and Fiction)
University of Michigan, Winter 2015
Creative Writing & Composition Pedagogy
- Bridging Composition and Creative Writing Pedagogy with Threshold Concepts – Final project presentation for guided reading/independent study class with Jonathan Alexander
Writing 39C: Argument and Research
University of California, Irvine – Spring 2017
39C is the capstone course for the Writing 39 series, which fulfills the writing requirement for non-humanities students at UCI. Students conduct research one problem or social issue throughout the quarter, and produce two major essays and a multimodal presentation advocating for specific solutions. The text I used was Better by Atul Gawande.
- Integrating Sources
- Diagnosing Problems and Solutions
- What We’ve Covered, Part 1
- What We’ve Covered, Part 2
Writing 39B: Critical Reading and Rhetoric
University of California, Irvine – Fall and Winter 2017
The Writing 39 series fulfills the writing requirement for non-humanities students. For most students, 39B is their first college-level writing class, in which they learn the basics of analyzing a text and crafting persuasive arguments. The theme of my course was Travel Writing.